At East Bend Animal Hospital, we know that coming to the veterinarian is not a cat’s favorite thing to do. As a Fear Free Certified Hospital, we know that a veterinary hospital can be scary, so we take extra steps to ensure our feline friends experience as little fear, anxiety, and stress as possible.
- We always encourage secure carriers for our feline patient’s travel to the hospital. As a cat parent, it is important to help acclimate your cat to their carrier. Acclimation ensures that the cat does not feel extreme levels of fear prior to leaving home. It is highly recommended to help your cat get use to the carrier by leaving it out in a space your cat frequently spends time. Leave a favorite pillow or bed in the carrier with the door open. Encourage your cat to enter the carrier on their own (use treats, toys, or a favorite blanket). We encourage the use of Feliway products (a feline specific pheromone which helps promote relaxation and creates a calming effect) at home to help desensitize your cat to the carrier (Feliway Travel wipes, diffusers, or sprays are all great options).
- During the drive to the clinic, make sure to secure your carrier (to help avoid injury if you have to slam on your breaks unexpectedly). Also playing soft, calming music can be helpful to keep your cat at ease.
- Upon arrival to the clinic, our Fear Free Certified staff will provide a blanket to cover the cat carrier. This blanket is spritzed with Feliway. We utilize feline specific exam rooms (equipped with Feliway diffusers which are constantly emitting the relaxing pheromone). Soft music is playing and treats and catnip are offered to all of our patients after opening their carrier door. We encourage our cat patients to explore the examination room while they wait for the veterinary team to begin their exam if they are comfortable doing so.
- All team members are Fear Free Certified and have gone through additional training to familiarize themselves with techniques and approaches to help our patient’s feel calm during their exam (we never scruff our patients!). The entire team is trained in recognizing signs of fear, anxiety, and stress in our feline patients.
- Even with our Fear Free approach, some cats just need a little extra help to make a trip to the veterinarian tolerable (and that’s okay!). Give our office a call to discuss a Fear Free Pre-Visit Prescription that we can prepare for your cat prior to their visit to the hospital. This prescription will help take that nervous edge away and assist in making the visit as stress free as possible.
Since the month of September is Happy, Healthy Cat month, East Bend Animal Hospital is offering $10 off all HEALTHY cat examinations through the end of October. We know that cats can be notorious at hiding symptoms of disease or pain, so we want to make sure we are able to give them a thorough examination annually to help keep them happy and well for as long as possible!