We recently celebrated our one-year anniversary of being a Fear Free Certified Practice here at East Bend Animal Hospital (one of only six practices in the state of Oregon and the only one in Central Oregon). We know that veterinary visits can be scary for your pets so we are committed to making our clinic as stress-free as possible. East Bend Animal Hospital also strives to create a positive veterinary experience for all of our patients.
What is Fear Free?
The Fear-Free initiative was founded by Dr. Marty Becker (from North Idaho Animal Hospital) in 2016. Fear Free focuses on the emotional well-being of all patients and works to reduce anxiety, fear, and stress during their veterinary visits.
In order to become a Fear Free Certified Practice all staff members must complete a Fear Free Certification and the hospital must pass a comprehensive onsite evaluation. Each year the clinic is reviewed before renewal is granted.
How do we implement Fear Free at our clinic?
- Our staff has taken time to complete extra education in behavior and low-stress handling techniques.
- We utilize species specific pheromones throughout the clinic for dogs and cats.
- Calming music is playing in all exam rooms and in the lobby.
- We have separate dog and cat waiting areas and examination rooms.
- A variety of treats are used throughout each patient’s visit and are available around the clinic (we encourage our clients to help themselves).
- We practice low-stress handling techniques (no scruffing or holding down a patient for treatments or examinations).
- We utilize PVP’s (pre-visit prescriptions) when needed to help a patient feel relaxed and stress-free before arriving at the clinic.
Please call us today if you would like to discuss how we can make your pet’s visit as stress free as possible.